Friday, April 24, 2015

Plausibility of Horizons

           After reading Horizon's by Mary Rosenblum there are a few things that I have to admit could end up actually happening in the future. One thing that I think could definitely occur would be territorial jurisdictions of certain regions. Some would argue and say that this would not happen because states would not want to give up their sovereignty however I think it is already beginning a little. The European Union in a sense is a territorial jurisdiction of that region. Though states still have their own governments within the EU many of their policies and actions are dictated by the EU. However, in the future, as Rosenblum, explains it these territorial jurisdictions would be a little different from how the EU is. I think it would take a lot for a regional jurisdiction to occur. I think if it would resemble anything it would resemble the US in way. With small states within the territory, all answering to a federal government with smaller state level governments. Those small state level governments are the family and corporation super powers that run the different territories.
           Aside from many of the things that could possibly happen one day, there are a few that I definitely think would not. One example would be genetic modifications to human beings and clones. I understand that there are scientists who are attempting to clone animals and see if it is possible. However, I don't think as a society we are there and I don't think we will ever be there. Individuals have so much pride being who they are, there are movements now meant to empower individuals to accept who they are and to be proud that they are one of a kind. Being able to clone people or even genetically modify them would completely turn away from the mentality that many are accepting and moving towards now.  Additionally, genetic modification of foods and vegetables are beginning to be largely frowned upon. There is a think green movement inspiring more people to go to farmers markets and stores that provide them with more organic options. To go from that mentality to allowing the government to genetically modify human beings and clones is just something I do not foresee happening.

6 comments:

  1. Your ideas of splitting up territorial justification are very intriguing, especially comparing them to a possible breakup similar to the United States. Would these territories be smaller in size (i.e. would Germany be broken up into East/West)? And if so, would the greater number of territorial jurisdictions lead to more escalation of conflict over widespread legislation?
    I also agree with the idea of cloning/modification. But if this modification were able to isolate disease in the future (i.e. locate the autism gene and "fix" it), would that still be frowned upon for taking away individuality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess in terms of Europe I thought all the individual countries were already broken up, since those nations are much smaller than the US. I don't think there would be escalated conflict because all regions would be governed by one sovereign leader.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would disagree with your point on the genetic modification of humans. Genetically modified humans (GMH's - new acronym, working on copyrighting it) are, when you think about it, really just an extension of sexual and natural selection. We seek out the traits we find most desirable in a partner (sexual selection) and the strongest humans survive to move on and reproduce with each other (natural selection). We as humans are already sort of weeding out the 'undesirable' and 'weak' traits over the course of many many years even without the help of scientists going in and manipulating genes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not agree with you more on the point about territorial jurisdictions and how they would come to resemble the US. I think that as smaller states want to compete in the world economy, they would necessarily have to give up some of their sovereignty and band with other surrounding states to form a "superstate" that resembles the United States and a much more formal EU. When it comes to genetic modification of humans, at first I agreed but now I am a little skeptical. Already scientists are using stem cell research and using those cells to genetically modify individuals. Though not quite the same as the book, it seems to me as though this is already happening on a much much smaller scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think regional and territorial jurisdiction resemble the US is a plausible future. I think states are hesitant to secede any sovereignty rights to a larger government but I also think the federal system gives states power over themselves in addition to listen to a higher government. I agree that I think genetically modified humans are unlikely. I think there is incredible backlash against the use of genetically modified foods. I think some traits may be come more desirable but I don't think it will become a mainstream thing to manipulate genetics in humans.

    ReplyDelete